Shreveport Symphony Orchestra
in partnership with Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute
January 25 & 26, 2024
The Orchestra Sings
Melody is one of the universal elements of music, and defines the music we know and love. Composers create melodies through a combination of rhythmic patterns, contours, and expressive qualities. Through the Link Up repertoire, hands-on activities, and a culminating interactive performance with the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra, students will explore what makes a melody great.
- Thomas Cabaniss’ Come to Play
- Beethoven’s Ode to Joy
- Reena Esmail’s Ram Tori Maya
- Dvořák’s “New World” Symphony
- Jim Papoulis’ Oye
- Stravinsky’s Finale from The Firebird Suite
- Nathalie Joachim’s We Shall Not Be Moved
What is Link Up?
Carnegie Hall’s Link Up program pairs orchestras with students in grades 3–5 at schools in their local communities, giving students the opportunity to learn about, listen to, and perform great music.
Students participating in Link Up explore an interactive curriculum in which they learn to sing and play an instrument in the classroom before performing with the orchestra from their seats at a culminating concert.
Link Up provides a free, high-quality yearlong curriculum that teachers can implement, along with teaching materials, online video and audio resources, and the professional development and support necessary to make the program an engaging experience for students.
Your School Receives
- Link Up curriculum resources for each teacher (featuring repertoire for singing, playing the soprano recorder or violin, and program-related lesson plans and activities) with accompanying audio and video resources
- Link Up resources for students
- Professional development resources and webinar for lead teachers and administrators
- Access to Carnegie Hall’s online resources, including additional lessons and interactive classroom resources
- Access to Carnegie Hall’s Link Up Facebook group, which connects teachers, Carnegie Hall staff, and featured contributors to share ideas, student work, videos, and photos
In order to register your school or students for our Discovery concerts, please complete this online form: https://forms.gle/GGHzpk2jr9xLrcGT8
Check back here for more information soon, or contact Brett Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SSO Partner Schools
Fairfield Elementary Magnet
R.V. Kerr Elementary
Werner Park Elementary
Partner School Sponsors
Thank you to Foster Orthodontics, who is sponsoring recorders for all of the schools who are participating.